Besides keeping your home dry and comfortable, proper insulation is critical for several other reasons. Without adequate insulation, it can raise your heating and cooling bills, increase your chance of mold growth, invite unwanted pests like mice and bugs, and increase your carbon emissions.
Common signs of an under-insulated home include higher-than-normal energy bills, drafts, varying room temperatures throughout your home, attic water leaks, frozen pipes, and walls, floors, and ceilings that are cold to the touch. If you’re experiencing any of these issues, there’s a good chance your home could benefit from installing insulation.
As for specific locations, there are five main places to focus on:
- Attic - This typically involves installing loose-fill or batt insulation, although there are several different types to choose from. In most cases, you’ll want to have at least 10 to 13 inches of insulation in your attic, Energy.gov explains. If it’s less than that, you’ll likely want to add more.
- Exterior Walls - If your attic is fully insulated and you’re still experiencing drafts and cold spots in the winter and hot spots in the summer, it’s often a sign your exterior walls could use more insulation. This is especially important in cold climates like the Northeast.
- Basement - This can go a long way in saving money on heating and minimizing moisture problems from occurring. It can also help prevent major temperature shifts.
- Garage - It’s common for some garages without adequate insulation to experience large temperature swings depending on the season. Not only does installing insulation prevent air leakage, it also reduces the chances of contaminants like vehicle exhaust and paint from entering living spaces.
- Crawlspace - The method of insulating a crawlspace will vary depending on whether it’s ventilated or unventilated. If unventilated, you’ll usually want to insulate the foundation walls to increase energy efficiency and prevent freezing.
If you’re interested in installing insulation in your home, Graves Brothers Home Improvement will be happy to take a look at your current insulation situation and provide you with a free quote. Our team of professionals has more than 40 years of experience and can ensure high-quality results along with friendly service.
We serve upstate New York in Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse, and Albany. And we’re happy to announce that we also now serve Tarrytown, NY, West Hartford, CT, and Center Valley, PA. You can reach us through our online contact form or by calling 844-904-7663.