Besides adding to the overall curb appeal, siding is important for several other reasons. Without the right siding, your home is susceptible to mold, less energy efficient, and is at a greater risk of structural damage.
Signs that siding needs to be replaced include higher than normal energy bills, mold or fungus, warping, cracking, bubbling, severe fading, and loose panels. Also, if you notice the paint peeling inside your home, this could be another sign that you need new siding. Or, if you want to give your home a makeover to make it stand out in your neighborhood and increase its value, new siding is a smart choice.
When deciding which new siding to choose, here are some key factors to consider:
- Material - Vinyl, fiber-cement, and stone veneer siding are three of the most common materials. Other choices include wood, metal, and composite.
- Climate - Homes located in a colder climate like the Northeast, for example, may benefit from insulated vinyl siding or stone veneer, as this can increase energy efficiency during cooler months.
- Durability - The lifespan of vinyl siding can vary and determines how long until it needs replacing. Vinyl, fiber-cement, and stone veneer are all durable. However, fiber-cement is one of the most durable and capable of lasting up to 30 years.
- Appearance - In the past, aesthetics were fairly limited. But now, options like fiber-cement siding come in a variety of styles and textures, such as stucco and woodgrain that can perfectly accentuate your home’s look.
- Maintenance - Most modern siding requires minimal maintenance. Choices like fiber-cement and stone veneer siding require virtually zero maintenance, while vinyl usually needs to be cleaned every few years.
- Cost - Vinyl is one of the more economical choices and is usually the best option if you’re on a budget. Other options like fiber-cement and stone veneer have a higher price point, but are longer lasting and don’t require any special maintenance.
If you’re ready to discuss your new siding project, Graves Brothers Home Improvement is happy to help. We employ a team of top professionals and carry only the most reputable siding brands, including CertainTeed, Mastic, and James Hardie.
We’ve been proudly serving Upstate New York for more than 40 years in Rochester, Buffalo, Albany, and Syracuse; and more recently, we’ve also started serving Tarrytown, NY, West Hartford, CT, and Center Valley, PA. Contact a location nearest to you by calling the phone numbers below or sending an email through our secure contact form.