With the cost of virtually everything on the rise these days, many homeowners have found themselves in the unique position of having to contemplate which issues to address immediately and which issues to put off until a later date. Unfortunately, minor roofing issues are often one of those seemingly non-emergency problems that get put on the back burner. This might seem harmless, but ignoring them can result in problems that are more demanding and costly down the road.
At Graves Brothers Home Improvement, we’ve seen what can happen when minor roof problems go ignored for too long. Here’s what may happen if they’re not fixed in a timely manner:
- Water Damage – Water damage from your roof can take on many forms. When water pools on top of your roof, it can cause your roof to rot, crack shingles, affect the gutters, and lead to future leaks if not taken care of. When repairs are prolonged, water can seep into your home and cause a number of problems. One of the first signs of water damage that you’ll notice is brown watermarks on your ceilings and/or walls. If you see these marks, it’s best to call roofing experts immediately to find the problem and fix the roof and all affected areas before more damage is done. At Graves Brothers, we’ll inspect your roof, attic, damage, structural issues, and more to make sure your home is thoroughly checked and repaired.
- Mold and Mildew – Where there is water damage, there may be mold, which is extremely detrimental to your health. Both mold and mildew like to grow in areas that are dark and damp. When water damage has been present in your home for a long time, you’re inviting mold, or even worse, black mold, to grow and spread. Even though the leak may be from the roof, mold can spread to other areas such as walls, ceilings, furniture, and can affect the air you breathe. At this stage, it can be difficult and expensive to eliminate, so it is best to stay on top of things and not let any leaks, big or small, get out of control.
- Structural Damage – A leaky roof can also cause damage to the structure of your home, including your attic, ceiling, and support beams. When these are compromised, you can run the risk of a structural collapse that can not only affect the infrastructure of your house, but can also put you and your family in danger. If you have any questions or concerns about how a roof leak can affect the integrity of your house, our team of experts are happy to provide you with answers so you can make an informed decision on what is best for your home.
- Insulation Damage – If your insulation becomes wet due to a roof leak, it will most likely stay damp for a long time, which can not only create an environment for mold to grow, but it can lessen the performance of the insulation itself. As a result, your home can become drafty and lose its protection against the heat or cold from outside, which can then cause an increase in your utility bills. Talk with our team today about our cost-effective roofing options and how it can help protect your home and save you money in the long run.
- Electrical Damage – A simple roof leak can also affect your electrical system if you have wiring that runs throughout your attic or ceiling. In the event that your electrical wiring comes into contact with water and gets a short in it, it could cause a fire. If you suspect this has happened in your home, it’s best to contact an experienced roofing company and a trusted electrician to keep you and your loved ones safe.
If you suspect you have a minor roof leak and would like to help prevent more serious problems from happening in the future, contact Graves Brothers today. We’ll schedule a free roof inspection, answer any questions you may have, and do our best to make the process fast, affordable, and stress-free.